Sunday, July 3, 2011

Jai Ho!

I just realized this blog title has the potential to confuse a lot of my faithful readers.  This entry is not about Slumdog Millionaire, and it is not about the epic dance choreographed by Kirstin Hain and yours truly (although you can see it here, here, here and here).  It is, instead, another "list" blog, this time highlighting some of the Indian and Indian-themed literature I've come across in recent years.

I wouldn't go as far as to call it a "genre", but this grouping of texts is definitely a set of sorts, and one that I have almost entirely enjoyed.


Midnight's Children - Salman Rushdie 
I've mentioned this novel before, in my "faves" list.  I don't have the book on me (Kirstin, do you have it?), but I know it is close to a whopping 500 pages, possibly more, and that each page is worth it.  Rushdie is generally considered a master of his craft, and I think this novel totally proves that.  Saleem, The main character, and narrator, is an interesting and complex fellow, who is endowed with the magical midnight power of mind reading.  The imagery in Rushdie's novel is probably my favourite thing about it, and its seriously amazing the way he writes it all together.  I've written a couple papers on the way that Rushdie's command of his motifs is what holds this multi generational, cross-continental novel together.  Of the many motifs, my favourites are the blue Kashmiri eyes that distinguish many characters, and the "ticktock" clock of midnight.  I recognize that reading this book is a major feat, and that it won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I feel like any and all true lovers of literature NEED to read this brilliant work.

The God of Small Things - Arundhati Roy
I read this novel for my Major's Seminar class which focussed on Literary Prize Winners.  Roy's novel won the Booker in 1997, and for any who cares to know, tied for first place in the ENGL 490 showdown for best assigned text (it shared top place with Coetzee's Waiting For the Barbarians, another fabulous work, and the one that I was championing).  Roy's novel reads a bit like poetry, a bit like fairytale, and has a very folk-story vibe to it.  In my opinion, Roy's greatest accomplishment in this text is her treatment of structure.  The story centres around twin brother and sister Estha and Rahel, and the way in which a terrible tragedy affects both their lives.  Another highlight of the text is Estha and Rahel's secret language of sorts, and the way it works itself into the writing.  There is a technical literary term for this that I'm kicking myself for not being able to remember.  Like other novels in this set, Roy's considers the Indian caste system, although I must say her treatment of it is much more in depth and focussed than others I've read.  This is a beautiful read, and its not too long, so easy to handle.

Inheritance of Loss - Kiran Desai
This is another Booker Prize Winner, but I actually read it in my ENGL 204 World Literature class, which wasn't really world lit, but rather "worldly" lit.  All the set novels explored "cultural crossroads" of sorts.  The way this one fit in had to do with the Nepali uprising of the 80's, British citizens living at the foot of a mountain in Tibet, (including two funny old ladies and a young teenage girl), and an illegal Indian immigrant living in New York.  Its really hard to give a taste of the plot of this novel, but its a very interesting read, and gives a neat spin on the typical post-colonial literature of english department fame.  Some nice "setting representing theme" stuff going on. There's also a very well-written romance.

White Tiger - Aravind Adiga
So this is the only novel in this entry that I'm not crazy about.  However, it too won a booker prize (I'm starting to realize how stuck up my taste in lit is coming across), so I'm somewhat the minority in this opinion.  Actually, when I think about it, I'm sure lots of my blog readers would quite enjoy this book.  Its just not my type.  Adiga's novel is narrated in first person, structured by a series of letters that his protagonist, Balram, is writing to the President (if I recall correctly, thats the term Balram uses) of China.  I can't say much more without giving it all away, but Balram is a crazy, self-made man who goes through a lot of crap, but takes it mostly in stride.  Adiga does a nice job of representing a growing and changing India, to be sure.

Interpreter of Maladies - Jhumpa Lahiri
This text is another from my 204 class, and I loved it.  It is a short story collection concerning Indians living in India, Indians living in the states and Americans with Indian heritage living in both.  There is a story about a couple who lose a child, a story about an Indian cab driver (that one is so cute and sad), a couple who move into a house with a bunch of crazy christian objects left behind and kind of hidden around (hilarious), a sad Indian house wife, and many others.  We were only assigned a handful of Lahiri's short stories for class, but I read them all, and thought they were super great.  Again, short stories aren't for everyone, but if you're into them, you'll probably like these ones.


So there you go.  My fourth year at UBC ended up revolving fairly heavily around books from and about India, and for the most part, I found reading them a very rewarding experience.  If you've read, or end up reading, any of the books I've mentioned, let me know what you think!

And seriously, watch the Jai Ho videos, which are probably better than all of these novels put together.

No comments:

Post a Comment