Saturday, July 23, 2011

My Ontario Summers Part 2

So today after working out (Zumba Cardio Party!!!), and I was doing my happy dance out on the deck ("I'm going to the cooottaaage, I'm going to the coottaaaage"), my Mom asked me "What is it that you love most about the cottage?"

And I was like "Psha! Mother, don't you know the lyrics of my cottage song? Specifically the second verse?" and went on to recite it for her.  She pointed out that I could almost slam it, and I figured that since song lyrics are pretty much poetry, I could include it here as "something" about literature!  So after perusing my outside cottage literary picks, here is mine- straight from the heart.

My Ontario Summers

It was raining in Vancouver when we got off of the plane and I thought
Right about now they're probably stumbling to bed
After sitting at a campfire for hours on end.
When I woke up the next morning, I couldn't hear the sound of music or laughter
Or the clatter of a boat going by.  How was it that I was stuck at home
While you were there.  I always hate to say goodbye 
To my Ontario Summers, my time at the cottage on the lake.
I'll be rolling back in next year
Whatever it takes.
Where pale blue skies turn to blankets of stars 
Can you believe all this magic is ours?
Throw your cares away.
Once you're up, you're up to stay.  

Its in the sparkle of the sun on the water.
Its in the flickering flames at night.
Its a thousand different little things that make up this feeling
That eveythings gonna be alright.
And the moment that I get there,
I mean the second I arrive I'm struck by that feeling.
Its in the faces of the people who are there.
The smell of the air.
The loons on the bay.
The end of the day.
I always hate to say goodbye
To my Ontario Summers.
Throw your cares away.
Once you're up, you're up to stay.

And what I mean by that is even though it may seem 
So far away, there's a part of you that will always stay.
Cause just one day, just one month, just one summer
Ain't enough.
You'll be back again.
Cause the lake won't let you let go.

So when I'm winding through those tricky roads
After saying sad goodbyes,
I'm always looking over my right shoulder
Like I've left something behind.
But then when August turns to September,
When Summer fades into Fall
I realize what it is.  And that I haven't really lost it at all.
Its where it should be
This imperative part of me.
I forgot my soul there, don't you see?

So my tan lines may fade and I'll start wearing shoes again,
But I'm holding on to that feeling of my Ontario Summers.
My time at the cottage on the lake.
I'll be rolling back in next year, whatever it takes.
Where pale blue skies turn to blankets of stars.
Can you believe all this magic is ours?
Through your cares away.
Once you're up, you're up to stay. 

















3 comments:

  1. Two things: 1) You should post a video or audio file or something of you singing this song, the lyrics are beautiful and 2) Where did you get your Zumba dvd??? I couldn't find anyone online with just the one dvd, but I would definitely like to find one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ashley. Thanks! And I got my Zumba videos in a not so legal way. Maybe I can figure out some way to burn them onto a dvd for you? I'll look into it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would be awesome! Let me know for sure. I could probably also ask David J, he's pretty good at that stuff I think!

    ReplyDelete