Monday, June 6, 2011

The Orchid Thief

Sneeeeak Peek.

I've started reading Susan Orlean's The Orchid Thief.  So far its a little hard to get into, but the writing is the right mix of eloquent and cute, which I love.  For example:

"There are more golf courses per person in Naples than anywhere else in the world, and in spite of the hot, angry weather everyone around the hotel was dressed to play, their cleated shoes tapping out a clickety-clickety-clickety tattoo on the sidewalks"

Onomatopoeia too? You've got me sold.  I'm about 30 pages in, and I'm sure that by the next 30 I'll be much more into it than I am now.  Its a non-fiction story, so its a little bit different than what I'm used to, but its written in a typical fiction-novel way (except for the fact that its written in present-ish tense), which is cool.  I also love that it takes place in Florida, which is where Kirstin and I spent a lovely reading break vacation this past February.  Its always neat to read a book from a place you've been, because you can picture the setting FO REAL!

The novel follows John Laroche on his quest to "steal" and clone the wild Ghost Orchid.  I'll keep you posted on how it goes!

Very cool looking, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment