Saturday, October 29, 2011

The Penelopiad

Faithful followers,

You may recall that in one of my first blog posts, I mentioned Margaret Atwood's The Penelopiad as being one of my favourite novels.

Last week, Atwood's own stage adaptation of her novella came to The Stanley and the Arts Club Theatre put on an incredible show.  I went to the play with my friend Kat, who hadn't read the text before, and she was equally blown away.

I often assume that everyone knows the gist of Homer's "Odyssey", but I'm beginning to realize this isn't true.  Thanks to Brad Pitt, I think most people at least know the story behind "The Illiad", so I'll use that as my starting point.

After winning the Battle of Troy with his crafty Trojan horse plan, Wily Odysseus sets sail home to Ithaca, after 10 years of absence from his wife Penelope and son Telemachus. Instead of going straight home though, Odysseus spends another 10 years adventuring all over Ancient Greece, outsmarting a cyclops (pissing off Papa Poseidon to no end), withstanding the songs of sirens, and shacking up with the Goddess Circe on her island, to name a few.  Meanwhile, Penelope is back at home in Ithaca with a "hardened heart", warding off hundreds of suitors eating her out of house and home and trying to convince her that her husband is dead.  Penelope is the definition of loyalty, never losing faith in her husband's returning, and earning her own epitaph, "clever", with tricks like her never-ending shroud.  In the end, Odysseus finally returns home and kills everyone, including 12 maids of Penelope's who been particularly skanky with the suitors.  P and O go to sleep in their special treetrunk bed, dawn with her red rose fingers dances across the sky and so end "The Odyssey".

In Atwood's The Penelopiad, however, the story takes a decidedly different take on the events of Homer's tale, with a deceased Penelope telling HER side of things down from Hades.  The essential difference in Atwood's text is that the 12 maids are in fact Penelope's most trusted confidantes, hanging with the suitors on her command, helping her weave and unweave the shroud, and being basically like daughters to Ithaca's Queen.  Penelope is therefore heartbroken when unbeknownst to her, her beloved maids are hanged by her own son before she can explain to her husband what a help they were to her.  The maids take a main role in Atwood's text, narrating hilarious scenes like "The Trial of Odysseus"  and giving a lecture on phallic imagery in Odysseus' return to Ithaca.  They are incredibly haunting characters as well, following Penelope around in Hades, "floating" rather than walking, their feet still "twitching"- the term immortalized in Homer's original.

Those of you who know me best know I LOOOVE to get my Feminism on, and this novella suits me so fine.

I was so excited to find out that "The Penelopiad" was coming to Vancouver, and that it was Atwood herself who had adapted her original work for the stage.  The play features an 11 person, all female cast, Vancouver's staging starring Meg Roe as Penelope.  The remaining 10 women all play maids, but additionally play other characters, including male ones such as Penelope's father, her son Telemachus, and of course, Wily O.  The actresses featured in the Arts Club's production were so incredibly talented, and I was especially impressed with their ability to portray masculine characters.

Another aspect of the play that I adored was the musical excerpts included throughout.  Penelope and her maids sing a haunting lullaby to Telemachus, an effective round while they weave and unweave at the dead of night, and as raucous sailers sing a ballad on O's exploits.  There was a violinist in the cast, another woman played guitar, there was often additional percussion instruments involved in the songs, and oh my goodness could these ladies sing!!! Sometimes the pieces were in 4 part harmony, and they were gorgeous!  I am so incredibly picky when it comes to vocal music, so you can be assured that if I'm saying these gals were good, I really, really mean it.

Check out some of the pics, and a video "trailer" from the Arts Club production.  It runs until Nov 20th, and if you have a chance I whole-heartedly recommend seeing it.  If thats not a possibility for you, at least read Atwood's book!






1 comment:

  1. I know 2 of the girls acting in it and I'm so glad the show is as good as I'd heard! Almost makes me want to read some Margaret Atwood again (and that's saying something, the handmaids tale very much turned me off of her work.) Sounds like an awesome show!

    ReplyDelete