Thursday, September 15, 2011

Seamus Heaney: Human Chain

I don't feel like analyzing tonight, just sharing.

At my last Chapters visit I scored 3 Victorian novels (A Tale of Two Cities, Far From the Madding Crowd, Pride and Prejudice) and 2 books of poetry, one being Seamus Heaney's 2010 publication, Human Chain (the other being a Margaret Atwood collection with a fox on it that I can't remember the name of at the moment....).

I haven't made my whole way through Heaney's collection yet, but I'm very taken with the first poem, "'Had I not been awake'".    As I said, no analyzing, just sharing.  And here I go.



'Had I not been awake'

Had I not been awake I would have missed it,
A wind that rose and whirled until the roof
Pattered with quick leaves of the sycamore

And got me up, the whole of me a-patter,
Alive and ticking like an electric fence:
Had I not been awake I would have missed it,

It came and went so unexpectedly
And almost it seemed dangerously,
Returning like an animal to the house,

A courier blast that there and then
Lapsed ordinary.  But not ever
After. And not now.


Make of it what you will.  At the very base of all things poetical- isn't that the point?

No comments:

Post a Comment